The Art of a Self Portrait

Wednesday, November 19, 2008











The art of a self portrait shouldn't be taken lightly. It takes quite a bit of skill to hold your digital camera out far enough to get your face in the frame and snap a picture while trying to coax your daughter into smiling at nothing more than your hand pressing the picture button.

I want to make memories with Kate as she grows and to help her look back on those memories later in her life by documenting them with pictures. But, as the one who is 99% of the time behind the lens, I'm not usually actually a part of her memory making pictures - so I decided on a solution long ago: the self portrait!

As you can tell, over her short life Kate has learned to love the self portraits and become an expert self portrait picture subject. The only downside to my self portraits is that I usually can't get my arm far enough back to get much more in the picture other than us -- I need to find a way to get more background in order to better preserve these memories for Kate. Maybe sometime soon I'll take the leap and try to figure out how to set my camera's timer mode so I can get some longer than arm length distance between us and the lens... stay tuned to see how it goes!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You have gotten some REALLY CUTE pictures!!! I need to be taking part of the self portrait art!!