The Conversations of a Two Year Old...

Monday, November 3, 2008
On our way home from church last night Kate asked with incredible politeness to hold my hand so I did what any momma would do, I wrenched my shoulder practically out of socket so I could hold her hand from the driver's seat. As my arm started going to sleep Kate said, "Momma, I need to ask you a question." She's been saying that a lot lately, but usually after she says that it's clear that she's just wanting my attention for a minute because she 95% of the time doesn't ask any questions. I thought last night would be no different, so I just asked her what she wanted to know. But she DID have a few questions, here's a run-down on our conversation:

K: Momma, where does Moses live?
M: He lived in Egypt for a while and then in the desert.
K: Oh, where does Jesus live?
M: In heaven and in our hearts.
K: Okay, where does God live?
M: He lives in heaven too.
K: He lives with Jesus?
M: Yes.
K: Can we go to heaven and see them?
M: We can.
K: On the freeway?
M: Not really...

My mind was spinning out of control at this point because I was wondering how I was going to answer her if she asked if we could go now (like she does about Mamaw's house) or how you get there. I know how I'd answer an older child or adult, but how to do it on a two year old level isn't something I know the best way to do! But, as often happens in two year old world, her mind was done with that line of questioning and she was on to another topic...
K: Can we play games when we get home?

I can't believe how much she seems to be growing up these past few weeks. Her thoughts and questions are getting more complex. I'm so excited to watch her grow and learn, but I'm also thrilled when she still wants to snuggle with me before bed or wants me to just hold her for a while like she's done since she was a baby!

1 comment:

McCullough Family said...

I love it. Luke picked up a book (a grown-up one with real words) and said, "This is the Bible." Then he got his finger and followed the words like he was reading and said, "God's mighty power said Let my people go." I am so glad they get to learn together :)