Free Denny's Breakfast

Tuesday, February 3, 2009




Did you see the Denny's Superbowl commercial announcing they would be offering a FREE grand slam breakfast platter today from 8 to 2? I did... so guess where Kate and I went this morning?!?

I've never stepped foot into a Denny's before, but the invitation for free breakfast was enough to convince me to give them a try. I decided to try to avoid the crowds by taking Kate to brunch around 10:15, but as you can see from the pic above - the crowd was still lined up around the building. I debated whether to stay or go, but since I'd already gotten Kate excited about our free eggs, pancakes, bacon, and sausage and I didn't have any where else I needed to be this morning, we found a parking spot and hopped in line.

The line was long, but we only had to wait about 30 minutes before it was our turn. We talked with several interesting people while we stood in line - it was the same sort of bond of excitement that I share every year with the people standing around me in line at 4am on Black Friday waiting to get into Best Buy or Toys R Us to purchase Christmas presents at great prices. Bargain lines are happy places and everyone seems to be in a great, chatty mood - it's a polar opposite experience from the grumpy, trudging line of silence while you wait to pay a bill or do anything else unpleasant where it feels like you're getting the short end of the stick.

I gave Kate some breakfast early this morning when she woke up to tide her over until our Momma/Daughter brunch date, but the waitress barely had our food on the table before Kate was scarfing it down. And since she obeyed so well and stood patiently next to me while we stood in line, I thought I'd splurge a little and let her pick whatever she wanted to drink. Luckily she chose orange juice, but I was prepared for her to use this as a prime opportunity to order her first coke!

When they brought the bill to the table I just sat there and smiled at it while I finished chewing my bacon. It felt so good to have had a nice breakfast with Kate for only $1.29!! I know we had to wait a little while for it - but quite honestly, I don't remember the last time we went to IHOP and didn't have to wait several minutes for a table (and we had to PAY for our food!).

We wholeheartedly enjoyed our food (Kate even gave it a thumbs up when she was finished), the workers were all very kind even though they were under definite stress from being so extremely busy, the table was clean, and the price was definitely nice - so Denny's efforts with the Bettis family definitely paid off this morning because we're much more likely to visit Denny's in the future after this good experience.

No comments: