Ode to the Crock Pot

Monday, October 13, 2008
It's embarrassing to admit, but I must confess: I really love my crock pot. I'm not too sure where or when we got it, but it's been a part of the family for probably the greater part of the nine years we've been married because I can remember sitting in our little Lubbock apartment peeling carrots and potatoes to make roasts on cold winter days.

Roasts were really the only reason I knew of to use the the good ole crock pot -- unless one needed a MASSIVE AMOUNT of cheese dip for a party. But since we've had Kate in our lives, the time I want to devote in my kitchen has dwindled significantly. The answer to my kitchen frustrations has been and continues to be my trusty crock pot: when Cody calls to say he's on his way home no wave of anxiety spreads over me on my way into the kitchen trying to figure out what I'll make for dinner, no dinner masterpiece worries if traffic keeps him longer than usual or he gets home in record time, no trauma if after Kate wakes up from her nap she just needs to be held for a while instead of me trying to wrench her off me so I can cook, and usually I end up with more food than I expected so there's always leftovers to eat the next night.

I've made chicken & dumplings, Italian chicken with potatoes, teriyaki chicken, chicken & rice, chicken with stuffing, and so many more fun things that I run across on the internet. I absolutely love having dinner made and off the to-do list before lunch (sometimes before breakfast) -- and it makes the house smell WONDERFUL in the afternoons... not to mention makes me feel like such a productive person!

Any other crock pot fans out there in the blogosphere? I'm always looking for new ideas, so what are some of your favorite crock pot creations?

2 comments:

Cody Bettis said...

"I really love my crock pot."

but who CLEANS the crock pot?

(it is worth it but hard to clean)

Brenda said...

One of my new crock pot favs is pulled pork barbeque. Just buy the McCormick seasoning packet for pulled pork and follow the super easy directions. This makes great barbeque sandwiches and I also like to roll the meat up in corn or flour tortillas.
Cody - a tip on cleaning the crock pot. Sometimes there is a white residue which is left after a thorough cleaning. Just place a few drops of vegetable oil in the crock pot and wipe with a paper towel. This also works well with stainless cookware. That's all from Heloise for today!