The Gray 30

Wednesday, March 11, 2009
I'm exactly a week away from being the big 3-0.

It's definitely a milestone worth taking note of, but I'm not losing any sleep over getting older.

While we were sitting on the couch this weekend, Cody spotted a gray hair amidst my brown locks - and I'm pretty sure it has at least a few friends up there sprouting out of my head along with it. Let's face it, there's safety in numbers... So chances are great that several gray strands are headed my way.

In an effort to help me, Cody put his hand on my head so he could isolate my evidently misfit hair and pluck it from my tender scalp. But I was APPALLED at his behavior and sharply leaned away from him when I realized what he was doing. He proceeded to tease me about needing to start dying my hair since I'm "going gray". In the most offended tone I could muster, I told him ABSOLUTELY NOT. We laughed, but I was completely serious.

I've lived a lot of life in these short 30 years - and thus I feel like I have EARNED every gray hair that may or may not be growing on my head. Funky, off color hairs represent seasons of countless joys and sorrows - and all the continual struggles/successes of life in between. To cover them up with dye would feel like I was somehow invalidating my journey.

I wholeheartedly support every member of the actively hair dying community that may be reading this humble blog. Everyone should be 100% free to make their own choices in the "To Dye or Not To Dye" decision according to what is best for their individual preferences - but as for me, I feel a certain level of inexplicable pride in the endurance of life demonstrated by my crazy textured gray hairs and have absolutely no desire to hide them.

Stay tuned to see if I'm singing the same tune when the big 4-0 is just around the bend...

No comments: