The Sharpie Triumph

Sunday, November 30, 2008
I love Sharpie markers about as much as I detest raw chicken. Sharpies are good for SO MANY things: writing, decorating, labeling, and more - while raw chicken is dreadful for SO MANY reasons: germs, slimy-ness, constant need of fat trimming, and more. And today both my love for the Sharpie and my hate for the raw chicken grew...

Kate was sick this morning, so instead of going to church as planned we dressed in our sweats and headed to the good ole Care Now to see if they could help the girl. I knew we would probably be there a while (even with the Web Check In feature), so I decided to get our lunch together and throw it in our trusty crock-pot before we left for Kate's appointment so we could have it ready when we got home.

Cody loves chicken and rice of any kind - and since I stockpiled chicken, broths, and soups last week because of all the pre-Thanksgiving food sales it was simple for me to throw together ingredients... except the perpetually formidable chicken. After struggling to slice off the slimy fat and cut the boneless skinless breasts into smaller portions I slid the chicken into the crock pot, turned it on, and started to clean up the germy chicken slime residue.

As is my custom after wrestling the fat off my chicken, I got out my bleach spray and started squirting it all over the counter, sink, sink knobs, etc trying to wipe away all traces of the poison from my kitchen. I must have gotten a little overzealous with the need to cleanse the counters because I few minutes later when I sat down on the couch I noticed my new black sweat pants were starting to turn a light shade of orange in a line and a few spots across the thigh.

It only took me a minute to realize what had happened and curse that stinkin' chicken. But, a little bleach stain wasn't going to get in my way of leaving ASAP to get Kate to her doctor... cue the superhero music: and my trusty black Sharpie jumped to the rescue!!

At each stoplight on the way to the doctor I carefully colored those pesky bleach stains black with my Sharpie. By the time we made it to the office, my pants were practically as good as new. The black Sharpie colored spots weren't an exact match to the black pants, but they looked so much better than they would have if I'd left them their light peach hue.

So I found yet another use for my trusty Sharpie markers today. And, the good news is that I have about 15 shades of Sharpie, so if this happens again there's a good chance I'll be prepared! But if anyone reading this post should choose to remedy a stain with a Sharpie rather than a Tide Pen or some other more conventional method, I recommend the removal of the clothing item before coloring commences... but under extreme circumstances when one is forced to color clothing directly on the body, try your best not to be shocked when you experience some permanent marker bleed through on your skin!

(Side note: Kate was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection as well as pharyngitis at the doc. They gave her an antibiotic and told me to keep advil and cold medicine in her system for the next few days to help ease her fever, pain, and other symptoms. She'll be all better soon!)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

So glad that Kate is going to be okay. I am so sorry that ya'll had such a crazy morning. SO FUNNY about the sharpie!!! LOVE YOUR STORIES!!

Brenda said...

Thanks for making me laugh...the chicken and sharpie story is hilarious!! (I am glad that Kate is feeling better!)