Nativity Set Toddler Wisdom

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Kate has really enjoyed playing with her nativity set this week. I've walked her through the Christmas story several times with the little people and she's starting to understand it better than ever before. Typically when she's cleaning up her toys she lines up every animal and person at the very front of the manger so they can all "look at Jesus". But yesterday when I came back into the room I saw the people and animals in the second picture's configuration.

M: (Trying not to laugh) What are the little people doing that aren't by the manger?
K: They're looking at the tree.
M: Why are they looking at the tree?
K: They can't see Jesus - they're tired of looking for him. They want to see the tree.
M: Why did you put the shepherd boy on top of the tree?
K: The people put him there.
M: Why?
K: They want to look at him, not the angel.

Kate was undoubtedly just playing with toys, but the wisdom in her small statements resonated in my heart. I love my Christmas tree, the lights, the music, the movies, and all the other fun that comes with the Christmas season, but in the midst of enjoying the red and green glitter and glam, I want to try extra hard this year to find ways to keep my eyes (as well as the eyes of my child) focused on the true reason for the season.

No comments: