Icicle Appreciation

Tuesday, January 6, 2009


It's hard to believe that the day after the 84 degree weather we enjoyed at Six Flags our high temperature was 40 degrees lower, but it's true! And the day after that we had icicles hanging from everything. This is the first cold precipitation Kate has seen this season so she stared at it in incredible wonder through the window all morning.

After lunch I let her bundle up and go outside to look at the icicles up close. The spikey chunks of crystal looking ice seemed to totally mystify her up close. When I stepped away from her to grab a pic of her, she instantly pulled one off and stuck it in her mouth before I had a chance to stop her. And then the icicles became "popsicles" to her!

It was very difficult to convince her to turn loose of her precious popsicles so we could get in the car to run a few errands, but as we were driving she continued to enjoy them because she was able to see them all over town. She kept shouting - "Look, Momma, there are popsicles on the stop sign! Look, Momma, there are popsicles on the library! Look, Momma, there are popsicles on..." And last night when we were praying she thanked God for the popsicles He'd put on everything for her.

I confessed in my last post that I'm an excitable sort of person, but I wish that there were more moments in my day that are filled with the sort of childlike wonder I saw in Kate's eyes yesterday each time she saw an icicle. I imagine it's inevitable that as you get older and see more of the world there will be less and less to be in awe of - but there's something to be said for being able to better appreciate the miracles all around us on a daily basis and for the ability to be thankful for the little things in life that are so easily ignored.

I'm going to start intentionally hunting for ways to turn the icicles in my life into popsicles - I guess my first step is just to simply follow Kate's lead! A lot can be learned from a two year old...

1 comment:

McCullough Family said...

love the Minnie Mouse under the coat! She is cracking me up!